Thursday, September 15, 2016

Applying the LEDx to BIG Design Challenges



Applying the LEDx to BIG Design Challenges

 

The design challenge is choose is the design of an ideal introductory video to an online course.  Note ideal and the pressure is on!  This should be a quick 10 minute project that touches on the most important information a student will need to know to start the course.

In the Discovery Stage, I would quickly talk to peer instructors teaching the course and identify the most important information students need to know in the first week to be successful.  I would also review notes from former students; review the Q/A’s from previous courses and any survey information that I might have from previous courses.    I would make note of why this information is important to students,  typical challenges students have in the class and the most commonly missed information.

With the primary areas of concern identified in Discovery, I would move to the Understand Stage.  Pulling the critical information together and putting a sense of order to the information to enhance understanding is part of this stage.  To maximize understanding, I would identify content that needs to be verbal, visual or a combination of verbal and visual.

In the Envision Stage, I would record a rough first take of the video.  A thorough review of the video using my checklist of information identified in the Discovery Stage would be important and a bonus might be getting feedback from a peer instructor. 

Finally, the Build Stage would include the final recording/editing of the video followed by uploading it to YouTube, captioning and sharing with my students.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment