Tuesday, August 16, 2016

LEM Reflection


This is a typical module in a course that I teach. The module begins with a quiz to assess the learners knowledge of the topic prior to beginning the module. After receiving immediate-system feedback, the students discuss what they know about the topic and what wish to learn more about. The lesson material comes in many forms and my example include both a podcast from the instructor and a YouTube video. Learners would then proceed to reflect on several key concepts and the instructor would provide detailed feedback. The final piece of evidence will be a paper.

Creating this LEM helped me to see weaknesses in my previous module design. The first practice quiz was always after the information blocks and the discussions were learner centered. By visualizing the design, I was able to see how moving the practice quiz to the first as a diagnostic tool would make a big difference in the learner's focus.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection, Tracy. This is indeed the value of modeling visually like this -- we see things that were not readily apparent before. I was doing a design workshop with a client yesterday, and we were modeling a type of activity I have done many times before. Suddenly, because I wase seeing it in terms of a visual learning pattern, I realized I had been missing an incredible opportunity in the way I have been using it.

    ReplyDelete